Monday, December 14, 2009

Tips on Achieving Goals



New milestone today! Here is what I hit and some of the journey it took for me to get there (as people are asking)
*********I have now lost over 60 lbs. The most I had lost was 60, so to make over 60 is great!*********As of this morning, I am the lowest I've been since I can ever remember weighing! Honestly, I know I weighed more in 6th grade than I do this morning! I was very excited. What a great way to start a Monday morning.

Tips: (the above pictures were taken about 15 pounds under my highest weight back in May of 2003 and the other one was taken this past Thanksgiving about 3 lbs ago.)
1. Realize why you are eating. For me, when I overeat, it is usually more of a compensation or a comfort, or stress eating. Like today, I wasn't hungry this afternoon, and its not even cold, but due to some stressful things, I went and made myself a mocha. It was free - why not? I threw half of it away. I didn't need it.
2. Don't eat food just because its free. When you live on a seminary-staff budget, you always want to eat the free food. Don't! Most of it isn't good for you (baked treats, pizza, chikfila chicken sandwiches, chips, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, fried stuff). Just say no. Or, when I have to eat the Chikfila lunches - I eat the chicken, take off the bread, and then when I get back to my office I eat some fruit or veggies that I brought to work.
3. Exercise. I love exercising. I feel lazy when I don't. God made our bodies to move. We are not being good stewards of our bodies if we just sit on the couch all day - or the office chair - or watch tv all day when we are physically able to get up and move (if we are).
4. Eat healthy stuff. I'm not saying you have to go to Whole Foods all the time or buy all organic. I don't. I mean - stick to veggies, fruits (not fried okra), greens, eat lots of salads with healthy proteins, legumes, chicken (not fried or smothered in bacon, cheese, and cream), lean beef. These are good. Now does that mean you can't have the occasional burger? No! God made all food for our enjoyment for our good. That means - we can enjoy a burger from Red Robin (for my bday coming up in 3 weeks) and it will give me nourishment - but not a Red Robin burger every day. All in moderation.
5. You have to be willing and able to take a little smack. Meaning - people are going to ask you why you don't eat all the junk at the holiday parties or at family get togethers. You have to know your answer. I fill my plate with good and healthy things - not the carbs and fatty stuff like I used to. I bypass the bacon topped mac and cheese. Not because I don't like it anymore - it is such amazing food - but I just didn't need it. You'll have to learn to deal with it. Many people ask me "why aren't you eating". Sometimes I'll say, I've already eaten, or I'm not hungry. Most of the time that is true. You don't have to say - there really isn't anything healthy here to eat. Don't be rude about it.
6. Drink plenty of water. Don't typically drink your calories. Lately I've been having hot chocolate or a mocha (80 calories) at work - I can deal with that. But, some people drink 100 calories a day - between Bux and non-diet drinks. Drink water, unsweet tea - these are good for you.
7. Make goals for yourself! Someone asked me today what my new goals would be. I said I still had a little more to lose - she couldn't believe it. Make healthy, attainable goals - and reward yourself (even with a jump in the bathroom when you step on the scale and a cheer) when you make it. You don't have to eat your reward and you don't have to spend a lot of money on your reward.
8. One saying that I really like right now is: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels". Now, I'll never be thin - but you get the moral of the story.
9. One Scripture thought I like - everything is fleeting, there is nothing new under the sun. Meaning - I don't need to stuff myself with food just because I can - that is sin. There will be food tomorrow. God made it all and I need to trust Him. He is MORE THAN ENOUGH for me.

I hope these things help!

No comments:

Post a Comment