Sunday, May 10, 2009

Zoo 5k Results and Thoughts






This one was tough. Couple of reasons. Good news: I beat my time from my first 5k by 40 seconds. Finsihed around 38.20 (we didn't have a chip on our shoe).

1. It was cool but amazingly humid for Louisville at 8am in May. We were sticky just getting out of the car. And more humidity made it much harder to run fast.
2. Hills. The zoo is all hills with one really big one. And curves that tons of people are trying to get around at the same time, so you are basically stopping and then starting again. not a great starting line to have to do that so soon when not everyone has spread out yet.
3. No chip. I like having a chip on my shoe so I can know exactly what time I've done. Oh, well. I finished at 39.50, but we didn't cross the start line when the first ones did (we don't even know where the start line really was?).
4. Stomach cramps. For about 1 mile in there my stomach hurt so bad. I have no clue what it was. I drank water before the race, at the same thing I eat before every race, at the same time I eat it before each race. All I could think about what how much my stomach hurt. But, then about mile 2.5 it stopped and didn't hurt again the whole day.
After we ran, we did get to look around at the animals and have a great morning at the Louisville zoo. And enjoy bananas and Calistogas' bagels. Sloan and I split one. Blueberry! And water.
Well, the next one is a little under a month away. Prepare better! And hopefully no stomach cramping!

No comments:

Post a Comment